By virtue of Republic Act (RA) 9261 issued on March 7, 2004, two state colleges in the province of Southern Leyte namely Southern Leyte State College of Science and Technology (SLSCST) located in Brgy. San Roque, Sogod municipality, and Tomas Oppus Normal College (TONC) situated in Brgy. San Isidro, Tomas Oppus were integrated to become the Southern Leyte State University.
As stipulated in RA 9261, the University operates in five campuses: Main Campus in Sogod, Tomas Oppus Campus, Bontoc Campus, San Juan Campus, and Hinunangan Campus. The law further stipulates that the University will have Sogod as the main campus. The following are the individual historical sketches of the five campuses:
• RA No. 4352 established Sogod National Trade School (SNTS) on July 7, 1969
• RA No. 1250 converted SNTS into Southern Leyte School of Arts and Trades (SLSAT) on December 14, 1981.
• RA No. 7930 converted SLSAT into a chartered college known as Southern Leyte State College of Science and Technology (SLSCST) on March 1, 1995.
• RA No. 7722, RA No. 8292, and GAA of 1999 integrated SLSCST and three CHED supervised Institutions namely, Ruperto K. Kangleon Memorial Agro-Fisheries Technical Institute (RKKMAFTI), San Juan Polytechnic College (SJPC) and Southern Leyte Institute of Agriculture and Technology (SLIAT).
• RA 9261 established the Southern Leyte State University with the integration of SLSCST and Tomas Oppus Normal College (TONC).
Tomas Oppus Campus:
• Barangay Resolution No. 52 established Tomas Oppus Community College (TOCC) on Dec. 20, 1970 with BEED as the only program offered.
• PD 2024 issued on Feb. 1, 1986 converted TOCC into TONC with additional BSED, AB, MAED, and MPA programs.
• RA 9261 integrated TONC and SLSCST to become Southern Leyte State University (SLSU) on March 7, 2004. It is now known as SLSU-Tomas Oppus.
• RA No. 3938 established the Bontoc Agricultural and Technical School (BATS) on June 7, 1964 and three years later was renamed to Bontoc National Agricultural and Fishery School (BNAFS).
• BP Bilang 494 established the Southern Leyte Agro-Fishery Technical Institute (SLAFTI) which became a full-pledged tertiary institution on June 10, 1983.
• BP Bilang 888 renamed the school to RKKMAFTI on November 22, 1985.
San Juan Campus:
• The San Juan Polytechnic College was formerly a Municipal High School established in 1946 and eighteen years later, it was converted into Cabalian National Vocational High School by Legislation.
• In 1968, Congress changed the school into San Juan Comprehensive High School (SJCHS) and by virtue of BP Blg. 569 the SJPC was established on June 21, 1983.
• RA 5380 established the Hinunangan Agricultural and Vocational School (HAVS) on September 1, 1975.
• RA 7931 converted the school into a tertiary institution and renamed as SLIAT.
• RA 9261 established the SLSU-Hinunangan.
Furthermore, an act was approved on September 27, 2018 mandating the integration of Maasin City College into one of the campuses of Southern Leyte State University through RA No. 11079.
Maasin City Campus
• City Ordinance No. 2006-033 established Maasin City College (MCC) s duly approved during the regular session of Sangguniang Panlungsod of the City of Maasin held on November 22, 2006 at Barangay San Rafael, Maasin City, Southern Leyte.
• By virtue of RA 11079 established Maasin City College was integrated to Southern Leyte State University and is now known as Southern Leyte State University Maasin City Campus offering Bachelor of Public Administration and Bachelor of Science in Social Work.
At present, the whole Southern Leyte State University operates in six (6) campuses all within the province of Southern Leyte.